Friday 15 January 2010

Quilt University

Well, what with all the snow etc I had decided to do an online course with Quilt University; booked and paid for it and then we all went back to work.  Typical LOL.

The course is with Dena Crain and is called Crystal Quilts.  It's more a design course and very interesting. 

Gosh I am learning a lot - the particular way these quilts are designed, and then all the taking of photos (straight is not my strong point) and manipulating them a little - probably very simple, but not something I've done before, and dh and ds6 both helping out as best they could with that bit. It is really hard to find the time at the moment, but the beauty of these courses is that you print off all the lessons and anything else relevant, the classes stay open a little longer than the course, and you can keep on doing it in your own time.  There is a discussion board as well, just for each course and that's quite interesting.  Ladies from all over the world are on this one - I don't think any men have surfaced.

And for me, because I'm reading, looking and doing, rather than just being told, I think things are more likely to stay in my poor little noddle.

Anyhow, this is a very interesting experience and one I  will be able  to repeat because......QU are having a weekly draw as this year it's their 10th Birthday and my name came up for the first drawing! So this set of classes are free! How wonderful is that?  It was like Christmas!  Lots of exclamation marks, I know, but it's so exciting :)

I don't have everything on the supply list, but am going to Farnham Maltings on Sunday with a shopping list and hopefully I will be able to get some of the things I will need. Farnham Maltings  is well, I don't know what it is, really, because I only ever see it at the fabric sale we are going to.  There are lots of rooms of varying sizes and the Maltings houses all sorts of theatre, exhibitions and other stuff.  This fabric sale is very popular; people come in coaches and it is horrendously busy as a rule.  Lots of traders, fabric is usually cheaper and there are quilts and exhibitions from local groups on show as well, upstairs.  So it should be a good day; there will be 5 members of the Breakaway Quilters  in all and I'm so glad the roads are mostly clear now, 'cos I'm driving!

No comments:

Post a Comment