Sunday 17 October 2010

Knitting and Stitching Show, Alexandra Palace

Forgot to write about this one, probably coloured by the traffic jam we were caught in on the way home which resulted in an overheated car and a long wait for the AA's repairman, who checked it over, refilled it with water, sent us on our way - straight into the arms of another traffic jam.  We did get home, but late, going a longer way home (Hindhead and the Hogs Back were closed that weekend, which didn't help, accidents etc just made things worse).

Anyway back to the show - I elected to walk up the hill from the car park and it showed me just how unfit I am.  I had a 20 minute wait for my friend to get there - she had waited for the shuttle bus.  No matter, it was a nice day and I met a couple of retired teachers I hadn't seen for a few years, so it was nice to catch up.

I have to say that I was disappointed - I thought the previous couple of years had been much better and on the whole I didn't find a lot to interest me this time.  There were some good exhibitions - tiny hats, fabulous woven tapestries.  Perhaps it was because I was tired, I don't know.  I did get some fabric from Doughty's and a sewing machine foot from Bernina; met the Kemshalls and Maureen Shenton.  I had hoped to say hello to my tutor, Marie Roper but she had been the day before.  No matter - they are all interesting ladies and do fantastic work.  I just need to get started on my course.....hopefully over half-term!

My friend tried out several of the new large, sewing machines - the lights on the Janome were fantastic but I felt the huge Bernina was a better machine, however it was 3 times the price and the lighting not good.  People forget I think that quilters do know what they are talking about and if you have a large amount of fabric bunched up underneath the harp of a machine, the lights along the arm don't matter there so much whereas they probably matter more if you are using it for embroidery. It will be interesting to see which one she chooses eventually, but I bet it's not the Bernina!

I still find the numbering of the aisles confusing and the catalogue - well, I really think the coloured section could be dispensed with, leaving the insert which has the lists and the map.  I think the coloured section is too big and heavy to cart around and generally doesnt hold much of use.  Plus it would be cheaper without it.

Oh dear, I do sound crabby...............

No comments:

Post a Comment