Sunday 7 March 2010

Regional day at Selsey (Region 2)

Four of the Breakaways made our collective way to Selsey where Region 2 were holding their regional day.

 

Traders (bought some fabric, naughty) and some beads I didn’t need, demonstrations, coffee, tea and cake, a raffle, demonstrators and two excellent speakers – Christine Porter  whose new talk was similar to the one we had heard at Meon Valley Quilters, but nonetheless enjoyable, and Gwenfai Rees Griffiths who doesn’t seem to have a website or an up to date blog.  I didn’t take any pictures, should have done really – beautiful quilts from both ladies and if you Google the latter on Google Images you will see some pics of these gorgeous quilts, many of which are handquilted with teeny stitches.

 

I had the pleasure of meeting Patricia McLaughlin who is teaching Libby to make exquisite quilts, and makes gorgeous, meticulously made quilt art herself.  She does courses and is quite heavily booked up but I would advise taking the beginner’s course first, perhaps, to get a thorough grounding in Patricia’s techniques.  I wish I could go but work gets in the way; I think ChrisJ is hoping to take a course, though – it would be right up her alley.  And if you think you don’t need a beginner’s course, well perhaps you might discuss it with Patricia first.  I have been making quilts a long time but am pretty slapdash and that is the place I would have to start – everyone is a beginner somewhere, right?

 

I thoroughly enjoyed my day out. Many thanks to the organisers!

No comments:

Post a Comment