Friday 28 October 2011

a bit of feltmaking.......

A while ago my good friend and boss retired.  So we don't see each other much any more where we used to see each other every day.  It all seems a bit odd, really.    But one day a few weeks ago we met up and spent the afternoon making felt.  I made a bag shape, brought it home and forgot about it.  I remembered in time to rescue it before it got smelly (!) and finished it off.  But, because I'd been talking I hadn't taken into account the size of the resist and I had forgotten to make the handles before I began to felt.  So I had a rather too large bag.  After rinsing I turned the top down and this week I finally got some wool, rolled it and plaited it together.  It was a bit of a job to cut holes in the bag through both layers but I managed it with kitchen scissors (not particularly sharp but too lazy to climb up to the 2nd floor to get my sewing scissors).  Now I just need to make an insert with some pockets on each side and I will have a usable bag to replace the one I made over 2 years ago and which is now beginning to fall apart.  I took it in to the Breakaways who said it looked like Robin Hood, which was rather deflating.  Never mind........


Anyhow, Blogger has taken it into its head to put these pics in a different order so you will have to look at Robin Hood in reverse order...



The Robin Hood Knot


I enjoyed making the handle


one side of the bag

and the other, which isnt quite so green in reality




Rolled, felted and plaited handle

No comments:

Post a Comment